The society was organized October 13th 1841, and the first fair was held on the courthouse grounds, November 11th and 13th 1841.

The 1916 fair was the 76th annual exhibition given by the society. The present value of the grounds, buildings, and appurtenances is $16,000 and the extent of the grounds, all owned by the society, and comprises 26 acres. During the past year there was erected, at a cost of $365.42, a building containing fine, new horse stalls. Besides this, a new platform was erected in front of the grandstand, also a new fence was erected and the judges’ stand and the new building were painted.

The total number of exhibitors for premiums at the 1916 fair was 126. The aggregate number of paid admissions was 15,336 but on the grounds were hundreds of children each day for whom, the first time in the history of the fair, no admission was charged and so that number does not by a large figure represent the actual attendance.

A life membership for males is $10, and females $5. These do not allow any privileges as exhibitors. The general admission is twenty-five cents for adults, and fifteen cents for children, and season tickets are $1.00.

The entry fees for competition for premiums are as follows: 10 percent of 1st premium on livestock, farm implements, stoves, and harness and dairy products. For fruit & vegetables, 15 percent. For poultry, 25 percent for ladies needlework, painting and drawings, 10 percent. School work and in the children’s department entries are free.

2015 Best Horse Show
Montgomery County Equine Club

2015 Best Gymkhana
Montgomery County Equine Club

2014 Best Gymkhana
Montgomery County Equine Club

2013 Best Gymkhana Show
Montgomery County Equine Club

2011 NYSSHA Exceptional Service Award
Richard Kennedy

2011 NYSSHA Exceptional Service Award
Betty Kilcullen

2006 Barbara V. Spraker Tourism Award

2000 Agricultural Awareness Program
Second Place

1986 Outstanding N.Y.S. County Fair